Grilled Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 1.25lb chicken breast
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine (about 2/3 cup)
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli florets, trimmed into 1" pieces
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Pepper
- Prepare campfire and move hot coals under cooking grill. Grill chicken over medium/high heat until just cooked through. Cut into 1/4" thick slices and set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to rolling boil, covered, in stockpot.
- Heat 1Tbsp butter in a nonstick skillet over high heat until just beginning to brown, about one minute. Add onion and a pinch of kosher salt to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned around the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and thyme, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and chicken broth; bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly and reduced to about 1 1/4 cups, about 15 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add one tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water; cook. When the pasta has about two minutes cooking time left, add the broccoli florets. Cook the pasta and broccoli until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water; return pasta to pot.
- Add remaining two tablespoons of butter, Parmesan, parsley, and chicken into the sauce; stir until combined and cook until chicken is hot, about one minute. Off heat, season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour chicken/sauce mixture over pasta and broccoli; toss gently to combine, adding pasta cooking water as needed to adjust sauce consistency. Serve immediately, passing additional Parmesan and red pepper flakes separately.