Grilled Ratatouille Skewers
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 pounds/900 g; see Note)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) butter
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Skewers
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices (about 11/2 pounds/680 g)
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices (about 11/2 pounds/680 g)
- 2 medium Chinese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices (about 1 pound/450 g; see Note)
- Olive oil spray
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
Note: Chinese eggplant is a thin-skinned, long and slender version of the vegetable found in most Asian and specialty markets. If you aren’t able to source it, substitute Japanese eggplant or slice a conventional eggplant to size.
PreparationTo make the sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to turn translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, butter, Italian seasoning, and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the skewers are done.
Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
To make the skewers, thread the zucchini, yellow summer squash, and eggplant onto 4 skewers, alternating the colors. Lightly spray the vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the skewers for about 20 minutes, turning frequently so all sides cook evenly. Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables before serving.
Publication of this recipe is thanks to Voyageur Press, an imprint of The Quarto Group