Skillet Peach Cobbler
- 2slices high quality white sandwich bread, torn into large pieces
- 1/2cup shelled pistachio nuts, chopped coarse
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4cup packed (1 3/4 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2pounds frozen peaches or fresh peaches. (If using frozen peaches do not thaw unless they are in a solid block and only thaw to separate. If using fresh peaches make sure they are fresh but firm.)
- 1/2teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3cup (2 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 4teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2teaspoons cornstarch
Serves 4 (easily halves to serve 2)
You will have several zipper bags with ingredients--
For the topping, pulse the bread in the food processor and store in a zipper bag. Also, store the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a separate zip bag. Pre-chop the pistachio nuts and, again, store in a separate zipper bag.
For the filling, store the sugar, cardamom, and salt in a zipper bag. In a small sealable container, combine lemon juice and cornstarch.
For the Topping
1. Pulse the bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, 3 to 5 pulses; set aside. Toast the pistachios in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter until melted and then the bread crumbs. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the crumbs are golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. 2. Turn the heat to low. Push the bread crumbs and nuts to the perimeter of the skillet. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the clearing. Cook, mixing the butter and sugar until melted and bubbly. Stir the breadcrumb/nut mixture into the butter and sugar mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thoroughly coated and well toasted, 1 to 3 minutes longer. Spread the mixture out over a large plate to cool.
For the Filling:
1. Wipe out the skillet with a wad of paper towels. Add the frozen peaches, cardamom, granulated sugar, butter, and salt to the skillet, cover, and cook over medium-high heat until the peaches are thawed and have released their juices, 8 to 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, covered, until the peaches are soft when poked with a fork, 8 to 12 minutes longer. Note: if using fresh peaches this entire step will only take 3-5 minutes.
2. Whisk the lemon juice and cornstarch together to dissolve the cornstarch, then stir the mixture quickly into the cooked peaches. Continue to cook, while stirring constantly, until the liquid has thickened, about 1 minute. Place peaches and sauce into bowls and sprinkle with the topping. This dessert can be served with vanilla ice cream.