Roasted Hatch Chile Soup
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour (substitute fine brown rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced purple onion
- 1 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup roasted Hatch chilies, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
- pinch of white pepper
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2lb grilled chicken breast, sliced (Optional)
Roast fresh green Hatch chilies, over high heat, until the skin blisters and turns black. Remove and place in a plastic zipper bag to let cool. Remove from bag and discard stem and charred skin. Place in a plastic zipper bag until ready to be used.
In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add garlic, onion, carrots and bell pepper to saute pan and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions have become semi-translucent and the carrots have become tender.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened to a roux. Slowly whisk in cream, milk and chicken bouillon and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat until smooth.
Add vegetable mixture and chilies to milk mixture; stir to combine. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne and white pepper; simmer over low heat a few minutes. Simmer mixture 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste and serve. Top with cilantro and grilled chicken breast.
This can also be prepared ahead of a trip, frozen, and heated up on the trail.